Dawn Moreno runs around Japan, with Snake-Eyes fully in control. She jumps into a Yakuza pool hall, where she tosses them around and makes off with part of their gun arsenal. Namely, coupla’ UZI’s and a sidearm. As she takes her leave on a train, she has a full-on Snake-Eyes flashback— probably in the GI Joe team’s first two years, as Snake-Eyes kicks massive tushy on an op. Back to the present, Dawn hops off the train and attacks a martial arts academy.
Harda, Lt. Knod and Sgt. Imai are still on the trail of Dawn. Harada recounts a brief history of the Japan government and the Arashikages. Plus all the “rumors” about the Soft-Master buying it, Tomisaburo (Storm Shadow) working with a terrorist agency, an American soldier who rose though the ranks (Snake-Eyes), the Red Ninjas, plus a “Strange European Assassin associated with the Red Ninjas” (Firefly).
At the Pit, Snake-Eyes II (Throwdown/Sean Collins), Scarlett, Stalker and Storm Shadow all agree to go to Japan and look for Dawn.
- This is officially “Dawn of the Arashikage Part 2”
- In the Snake-Eyes flashback, he has a different costume than what he wore in the first 3-4 years of the title. It has the Arashikage I-Ching symbol on his shoulder and his goggles are red. It doesn’t really matter, so make up your own explanation on how/why his outfit is different.
- Since Duke is in the flashback, you cold surmise it takes place sometime in the range of issue 22 to 32.
- Wild Bill’s there, too, along with an unidentified Joe as his co-pilot. Could be Airborne, Zap or even Lift-Ticket. For my money, I’ll go with Airborne.
- I feel like I missed something— but who is Genji?
- When Dawn speaks, she apparently has a raspy/creepy/spooky voice. As such, her word balloons are stylized differently.
- I like that they didn’t forget about Firefly. I liked the idea of his connection with the ninjas, but not the way his return story played out, circa issue 125.
- Hama has a somber reply in the letters column, about his own personal mortality and losing some friends, recently. He also mentions that a major Cobra character will die, soon.
- I picked up the “Artist’s Edition” cover; cuz’ I’m a fan of crop marks and this version actually has a more rigid cover stock. It has nothing to do with the story, but neither did the regular version.
Characters (figures): Storm Shadow, Scarlett, Stalker, Snake-Eyes II, Snake-Eyes (flashback), Rock & Roll (flashback), Grunt (flashback), Duke (flashback), Wild Bill (flashback), Airborne? (flashback), Firefly (flashback).
Characters (comic only): Granny Demon, Dawn Moreno, Genji, Harada, Lt. Kondo, Sgt. Imai
Vehicles and stuff (toys): none
Vehicles and stuff (not toys): HUEY helicopter
Vehicles and stuff: none
Rating: 4 Flag Points