Writer: Larry Hama
Penciler: S.L. Gallant
Everybody is heading for Springfield. Roadblocks and check-points are set up, outside of the town by the Springfield police, to search for Dawn Moreno. Dawn gets out at the rest stop before Springfield and steals the car of some pervert. A Springfield officer arrives to search, and she also gets taken out by Dawn. Dawn uses the perv’s car and the officer’s uniform to sneak into Springfield.
Dawn runs into Heather Collins, who is disguised as a Crimson Guard Immortal. They agree to work together to stick it to the man.
Snake-Eyes II, Storm Shadow, Zartan an Demon Granny also sneak into town, thanks to Zartan’s hologram tricks. Wendy Ling-Torres also arrives and is immediately tranquilized and sent to the Brainwave Scanner… where she’s strapped in next to Wade Collins and his wife.
Over in Darklonia, Flint’s team finds their objective– a Blue Ninja factory. They attack a delivery truck and make off with its cargo. Sneak-Peek gets shot in the melee. Roadblock, Spirit and Grosz stay behind to hold off the Cobra/Blue Ninja pursuers.
- Okay, so with Snake-Eyes II, Dawn Moreno, the Collins family and the rest all coincidentally converging on Springfield and the Brainwave Scanner… I’m thinking my early prediction about Dawn and Snake-Eyes II merging into one and essentially bringing the original Snake-Eyes back from the dead is looking VERY likely.
- Sorry, but “Snake-Eyes loses Cool Points” if this is the case.
- One scene I had trouble justifying is that of a “Cobra News Service” television broadcast. The anchors both joke about Dr. Mindbender and the Brainwave Scanner, on air. Seemed ridiculous…but my “No-Prize Explanation” is that Cobra has some sort of private digital network that is only streamed to reliable sources. Thus, it’s not picked up via “normal” digital antennas or subject to FCC regulations.
- Makes me wonder what a whole “Cobra Channel” would be like. Remember, circa issue 30, where Cobra Commander bragged about how they were making “more brainless sitcoms” to mess with the populace? So Cobra certainly has “Media Vipers” who can make entertainment content!
- The next town 10 miles over from Springfield is “Shelby”. I think this was mentioned before. In the past 5 years or so? It’s a fun reference to the old “Shelby Cobra” car!
- Funny scene as Dawn knowingly enters the pervert’s car. “I don’t know what you mean. Do you want to pull over somewhere secluded and explain it to me?”
- Cute city limits sign at Springfield mentions that it’s a “sister city to Springfield”.
- Zartan changes his van into a “Springfield Extermination Services”, complete with a big ol’ dead rat on top
- I hope Hama concludes this “Blue Ninja technology is being built around the world” subplot, soon. It’s carried on way too long and I feel it will never pay off.
- I don’t think they’ve given “Mrs. Wade Collins” a name. I feel like Hank Hill’s dad in “King of the Hill”, who just called Peggy “Hank’s wife”.
Characters (figures): Storm Shadow, Snake-Eyes II, Flint, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, Sneak Peek, Spirit Iron-Knife, Zartan, Dr. Mindbender
Characters (“comic-only”): Dawn Moreno, Demon Granny, Grosz, Katya, Wade Collins, Heather Collins, “Mrs. Wade Collins”
Vehicles and stuff (toys): none
Vehicles and stuff: Cobra HISS (cameo), Cobra Rage (cameo)
Rating: 3 Flag Points